"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." -2 Chronicles 7:14

Friday, November 18, 2011

Someone to look up to

As a HUGE Denver Broncos fan, I was absolutely thrilled with the outcome of last night's game versus the New York Jets.  Honestly, the only real reason I'm a Broncos fan is because of their new starting quarterback that has brought them up from a 1-4 team to now a 5-5 team.  Not only am I a fan of his because of his abilities on the field, I am moreso a fan because of the way he lives his life when he isn't on the football field.  Tim Tebow is not and has never been concerned about bringing himself glory and fame- he wants it all to go to his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  I'm not sure about you, but for me, this makes him someone I can look up to and follow after.

The world we live in today has such a lack of role models for someone like me: a Christian teenager.  Most of the time, it seems to me that this world has almost no moral standards.  I want someone I can look up to who has strong morals and will stand up for their beliefs, no matter the audience.  I have only found a handful of people who fit this criteria, and almost none of them are people on a nationally recognized level.  Tim Tebow is one of the few exceptions.  He was born to humble beginnings- his parents were missionaries in the Philippines.  When his mother found out she was pregnant, her doctor informed her that she would be forced to make the decision of whether to lose her life or abort her baby.  Mrs. Tebow chose to defy her doctors suggestion and refused to have an abortion.  Through many prayers, she delivered a healthy baby and both of them were fine.  When Tim turned three he and his family moved to Jacksonville, Florida, where he grew up.  His family purchased a farm, where he and his two brothers did most of the farm work that was necessary.  He was brought up being taught the power of hard work. 

The thing that has always been front and center in his life, however, is his faith.  Tim Tebow is an outspoken Christian who has never shied away from declaring it publicly.  When he was at the University of Florida, his practice of kneeling on one knee after every touchdown became a tradition; writing a Biblical reference on his eye black did as well.  During the BCS Championship game in his sophomore year, Tebow wrote "John 3:16" on his eye black and the next day, that was one of the most searched terms on google.  It was proven especially that day that many, many people were watching Tim Tebow.

Now that he is at the NFL level, more people are paying attention to Tebow and his circle of influence is widening.  Even with the fame he is now receiving, he has never compromised his beliefs.  He remains a dedicated Christian whose goal is to make a difference in the lives around him.  After last night's win, he gave an interview in which he credited everyone-- firstly, his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ-- for his performance, except for himself.  He credits his abilities and talents to Christ, his parents, and his teammates.  Humility is one of the things I look for in a role model, and I've certainly found it in Tim Tebow.  He is definitely taking football "normals" and changing them drastically; for a quarterback to win a football game without a single touchdown pass is unthinkable!  Not impossible, though-- it was done last night.  The entire NFL and all its fans are taking a second, or even third look at this remarkable player.  There's just something different about him, they can see it; but most can't seem to identify it.  God has truly blessed Tim Tebow for walking in His ways and keeping his eyes fixed on Him.  That is something I can admire and look up to.  He's proven that hard work and faith in God will help you accomplish anything you put your mind to. 

Tim Tebow's book, Through My Eyes, is a must-read!  It gives his life story in detail and gives you a glimpse into the mindset of a dedicated Christian young man who's been thrust onto a national stage.  He is definitely someone that young people in my generation should be looking up to.  He's proven that he is dedicated to his faith and his goals and will continue to be, no matter what.  When a professional football player can say in an interview, that building a hospital in the Philippines is more important to him than playing football, it speaks volumes about his true character.  He is using football to make a difference around the world.  That inspires me and makes me believe that there really are still people out there that I can look up to.
There's so much more I could say about Tim Tebow, but I won't.  I'll leave it at this.  I would encourage you, though, to watch him closely; he'll definitely impress, and he's making huge differences in peoples' lives all over the world!
For the record, I am Tim Tebow's #1 fan :) no arguing that with me!

UPDATE: I just found a very, very interesting article about Tim Tebow, and it made me laugh, so I think you'll enjoy it:  http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=7250435&type=story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak what you think!